Thursday, May 31, 2007

In the City of Skyscrapers



This is not the first time that such a thing has happened to me. Many of such incidents in my life have happened even before I can realize whats happening, and I have been left with little or no time to decide on its future course. My manager called me up early on friday morning to tell me that I would have to travel to New York the next day for an onsite project. Though I was left with little time to shop, I managed to do a good job in setting up things for myself. My parents were more than happy and I was all set to fly.


The Emirates flight to New York, was of a very long duration. Luckily I had many movies to pass my time in the flight. One among them which I saw was 'Music and Lyrics' starring Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. Though I liked Drew Barrymore I was never a big fan of Hugh Grant. I came to know through this movie that he is a very good actor. The movie is about two people, one whose passionate about singing and the other about writing songs. Though it had a simple story but made for great viewing.


Finally after 24 hours I landed in JFK International Airport in New York.After all the immigration formalities I got out and took a cab to downtown Manhattan towards Embassy Suites which would be my place of stay for a week. The first impression of this beutiful city was so lasting that I could not take my eyes of it. It was so well organized that you could almost feel as if you were in a paradise. Cars zoomed passed me and I began to feel as if I was a part of some Formula 1 Grand Prix.








As I neared my destination I got the first glimpses of the Skyscrapers and I came to knew how the city got its famous nickname. The JFK Airport is in the outskirts, so it took me around 45 min to reach my hotel.







My office is in World Financial Center which is just beside World Trade Center now known as 'Ground Zero' after the infamous attack on it.



I could view the 'Statue of Liberty from my office and it looked awesome from a distance. It stood mighty and tall in the Hudson River, which separates New York from New Jersey.






New York is a quintessential cosmopolitan city, which is home to all kinds of people. You can find a mix of Americans, Indians, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Scots etc. The first impression that you get of this city is that of one which is quite busy and boring. But slowly as weekend approaches you see how active the city becomes especially during evenings. It is house to a plethora of restaurants which can satisfy the appetite of the remotest traveller. You can try all kinds of cuisines especially mexican,japanese, italian, indian, chinese and never get bored.




The first weekend I went to Times Square located at the 42nd street. It is a good place to hang out especially during the weekends. It has some of the biggest malls located in New York where you can shop around for hours.

The busy TIMES SQUARE Street

If you get bored you can have a look at Madame Tussauds which houses the Wax Replicas of famous personalities and celebrities the world over. It is worth a watch if you are interested in learning more about celebrities lives. You can also find NASDAQ, the famous New York stock exchange.

MADAME TUSSAUDS





New York also has its fair share of parks and museums which can keep you busy all day. In the 34th street you can find the Empire State Building. Its the tallest building in New York City. From the top you get a bird's eye view of the entire city.
View of New York City from Empire State

On one side you can find the Brooklyn Bridge and just beside that in the Hudson river you can view the statue of liberty.



The Empire State building is one thing that you cannot miss when you visit New York City. You wont have any problems travelling wihin the city as it is well connected through trains and buses. To describe about New York in just one blog will not do justice to it, more about it probably in my next blog.

1 comment:

Kansultant said...

fundoo blog macha, waiting for ur next post !!!!!